2.28.2008

says who

over the years, tante nina and I have a discussion about a term: 'says who'. people usually say: "who says ...".

before we studied in the u.s., she always told me that the term 'says who' was not an english term. it's just a translation I made from bahasa: 'siapa bilang' or 'kata siapa'. well, honestly I translate a lot of things from bahasa so my english sounds awkward:) however, 7 years in the u.s. I never had problems during school years even during work years. never had miscommunication with my classmates, friends, and co-workers. may be because I work for an Italian architect who also says: 'says who' believe it or not. hahaha... I was not only super duper surprised when I heard him said that term, but also very happy because at least one more person in this world says that. so I never felt guilty. and... I got another surprise because I heard that term in one sitcom (I don't remember the title). well, the actor is an american.

so... may be the term 'says who' is really out there... not just my crazy translation ;)

1 comment:

Maggie said...

For me it depends on how I should respond. If someone talks to me suggesting that someone else had said something, like "Someone said that you have to....", then I'd say, "who says?" But if someone says a command like "You're not supposed to do that!" Then, I'll say, "says who?" Hehe.. most of the time, it's "says who?" Interesting topic, I never thought about it until you brought it up! :)