3.12.2008

disk man vs. cd player

although i-pod has dominated the market, I'm still looking for a cd player for kaka nina. so I went to carrefour - off course this is a french company so I guess the management do not teach the staff english terms :). I asked one of the staff where I could find a cd player. he got confused. he asked his colleagues, and those guys got confused too. luckily, one guy came up and understand what I mean by cd player. he said, people here called it diskman instead of cd player. well well... whatever...

'setor uang vs. deposit money' term also made me confused. I went to citibank - this is a big american financial institution so I assume the staff understand english terms but apparently they don't :) I went to the teller and I said I would like to deposit some money. the teller replied I should go to the customer service to make deposito. we both confused. so I show the slip that show 'setor uang' word. then she smiled. well, mam, you mean you would like to 'setor uang'. OMG... I don't know what will happen if one day she has to deal with a real blond lady, or a handsome guy foreigner.

so what do you learn mama nina?
I learn that the jakartans speak different kind of english. so I should be prepared :)

No comments: