4.21.2008

batik mania

I love batik since I was in high school... about 18 years ago. the love began when my family and I went for a trip accompanying my Dutch pen-friend, Tessa, to Yogyakarta. we went to many places there, and one of the most fun thing is to go to Beringharjo market. we hunt for old batik. I got a couple of batik long pants, batik shorts, and batik shirts. at that time there were no young ladies wearing batik. batik was considered 'old fashion'. only mbok and old grandmas wearing batik.

now, in year 2008, jakarta is flooded not only with water but also batik. you will find someone's wearing batik wherever you go. every store sells batik. on many occasions, the dress code will be batik. last week oma nina and I went to an exhibition at senayan. there were so many things to see from batik, embroidery, kids clothes, to comforter. but amazingly enough, the most packed kiosks were the antique batik ones. there were 3 kiosks packed with ladies hunting for batik. the sellers came from Beringharjo market. it was so smelly not because of the ladies, but the smell came from the antique batik:) I sneezed so many times. I got 2 throws and 1 king size comforter for only 400 thousand rupiahs. cool!

No comments: